‘Irrational Man‘ is the 45th film written and directed by Woody Allen.
Joaquín Phoenix stars as Abe. A philosophy professor in a slump, unable to fathom any reason to live. Moving to a new town, he becomes involved with fellow teacher Rita (Parker Posey). One of his students, Jill (Emma Stone) becomes infatuated with Abe, who manages to find new purpose when he overhears a conversation in a diner.
‘Irrational Man’ News Stories (show all)
- WONDER WHEEL Opening Weekend Box Office
- WONDER WHEEL New York Premiere With Kate Winslet, Justin Timberlake And More
- Woody Allen, Eric Lax To Discuss New Book In New York
- START TO FINISH, New Woody Allen Book By Eric Lax, Out Now
- New Woody Allen Book START TO FINISH By Eric Lax Released October
- WONDER WHEEL German, French Release Dates, Australian Distributor + Awards Chatter
Cast & Crew
- Emma Stone‘s second film (in a row) with Woody Allen, her first being Magic In the Moonlight.
- Parker Posey‘s first Allen film, although she auditioned twice – for Shadows And Fog and Bullets Over Broadway.
- Allen’s first title was ‘Crazy Abe‘.
- ‘Irrational Man‘ shares its title with a book by William Barrett, one of the most popular academic introductions to existentialism.
- The film was shot over many locations in Rhode Island, including Newport and Providence.
- The shot from poster looking over the water was taken at Beavertail National Park
- The fictional Braylin College from the film was mostly Salve Regina University in Newport. The philosophy building is McAuley Hall.
- Abe and Jill overhear a conversation in The Classic Cafe, Providence.
- Rita tells Jill her theory at the Fastnet Pub, Newport.
- Abe and Jill have dinner at Loie Fuller’s, Providence.
- Abe’s existential act takes place in Lippitt Park, Providence.
Posters and Covers