‘Irrational Man‘ is the 45th film written and directed by Woody Allen.
Joaquín Phoenix stars as Abe. A philosophy professor in a slump, unable to fathom any reason to live. Moving to a new town, he becomes involved with fellow teacher Rita (Parker Posey). One of his students, Jill (Emma Stone) becomes infatuated with Abe, who manages to find new purpose when he overhears a conversation in a diner.
‘Irrational Man’ News Stories (show all)
- Your Favourite Woody Allen Films From the 2010s
- POLL: Rank Woody Allen's 2010s Films
- Every Cinematographer from Woody Allen’s Films - Gordon Willis, Carlos Di Palma, Darius Khondji, Vittorio Storaro and More
- A RAINY DAY IN NEW YORK Blu-Ray and DVD Release Details, New European Collections
- 5 Films And A TV Show To Watch After Everyone Says I Love You
- WONDER WHEEL Opening Weekend Box Office
Cast & Crew
- Emma Stone‘s second film (in a row) with Woody Allen, her first being Magic In the Moonlight.
- Parker Posey‘s first Allen film, although she auditioned twice – for Shadows And Fog and Bullets Over Broadway.
- Allen’s first title was ‘Crazy Abe‘.
- ‘Irrational Man‘ shares its title with a book by William Barrett, one of the most popular academic introductions to existentialism.
- The film was shot over many locations in Rhode Island, including Newport and Providence.
- The shot from poster looking over the water was taken at Beavertail National Park
- The fictional Braylin College from the film was mostly Salve Regina University in Newport. The philosophy building is McAuley Hall.
- Abe and Jill overhear a conversation in The Classic Cafe, Providence.
- Rita tells Jill her theory at the Fastnet Pub, Newport.
- Abe and Jill have dinner at Loie Fuller’s, Providence.
- Abe’s existential act takes place in Lippitt Park, Providence.
Posters and Covers