In 1965, having made a living of being a TV funny man, Allen took his very first film credit, writing (or indeed rewriting) the script for What’s New Pussycat?. Allen also appears on screen, although very little of the sophistication he would later bring to his films is on show here. A straight ahead bawdy comedy, with some pretty great lines, it is nonetheless a 60s artefact.
The late, great Peter O’Toole stars as Michael James, a ladies man trying to go straight and be faithful to his fiancée (played by Romy Schneider), but can’t help but fall back into his old partying ways. Somehow, Peter Sellers, Woody Allen and a parade of sixties bombshells get involved.
‘What’s New Pussycat’ New Stories (show all)
- Midnight In Paris Filming Locations - Paris, Versailles, France
- 5 Films And A TV Show To Watch After Zelig
- Interview: Woody Allen Film By Film Author Jason Solomons
- VOTW: Woody Allen And Nancy Sinatra On Password, 1965
- VOTW: Woody Allen Celebrity Softball 1967